The Portneuf District Library
- Provides materials, programs, and services that encourage lifelong learning
- Encourages multi-generational community building
- Supports the intellectual and recreational self-development of the individual in a comfortable physical and digital environment.
Board of Trustees:
The Portneuf District Library is organized according to Idaho Code Title 22 Chapter 27. Elections are held each May for board members, when applicable. They are announced by two legal notices in the “Idaho State Journal” in late March.
Members of the Board of Directors are:
- Dean Hazen, Chair
- Jason Mendenhall
- Thor Conley
- Gail Mikesell
- Amilee Godfrey
Portneuf Library History
The Portneuf Free Library was established through the efforts of a group of parents who wanted to secure library services for all residents of School District 25, outside of the Pocatello City limits. Interest in the project grew through the activities of such groups as the PTA and the Friends of the Library. On July 28, 1958 a successful election was held and the Portneuf Library District came into being. The County Commissioners appointed a temporary board of trustees, which included: Floyd Barber, Helen Smith, Daisy Johnson, Boyd Neider and Mrs. Victor Warning.
The Marshal Public Library, simply called the Pocatello Public Library in those days, was asked to extend bookmobile service and borrowing privileges to the residents of the new district beginning in September of 1958. A two room shop, formally Alameda Electric, at 120 E. Walnut, was renovated and 1800 books were loaned from the Pocatello Public and The Portneuf District Library opened its doors to the public in February 1959. Three years later they were able to return the loaned materials after building a basic collection of their own.
In 1966 the library was moved to a renovated grocery store at 401 East Maple. They rapidly outgrew their building and in 1975 with revenue sharing funds from Bannock County and a construction grant from the Idaho State Library the library was able to build a new facility at 5210 Stuart Avenue in Chubbuck. The building was expanded in 1995.
For ten years, between 1975 and 1985, the library served as the headquarters of the Gateway Regional System, which administered interlibrary loans to 16 libraries in 7 counties in southeast Idaho. In 1985 the State Library ceased funding the regional system.
The Portneuf Library was at first staffed by several employees of the Pocatello Pubic Library. Anna Green, who started at Pocatello Public, became the first director of the facility and remained director until her retirement in 2000. A board of five persons, each of whom is elected for a six-year term, governs the present library. A Director, two librarians, and ten clerks staff the library. It is supported by a tax levy from the property taxes from properties in district 25 and is open 56 hours a week in the winter and 48 hours in the summer.